Lotus Stems - 4 medium pieces Oil - 5 Tbsp Water - 1 Cup
[Masala] 1 tsp turmeric powder 1-1/2 tsp salt 5 tsp coriander powder 1/4 tsp ginger powder 1 tsp black pepper 1 tsp garam masala 1 tsp amchur (mango powder)
1. Trim both the ends of the stems.
2. Cut into some 1 to 1 and 1/2 inch long pieces and some 1/4 inch pieces.
3. Wash with lukewarm water thoroughly. Make sure all the grooves are clean of any dirt.
4. Mix all the spices in a bowl.
5. Hold the big pieces over the masala bowl and fill the holes with the spice mix. Make sure that the pieces are a little damp so that the spices stick to them. Fill the big pieces from both sides. For smaller pieces put them together in the leftover masala mix and roll gently to cover with the spices.
6. Heat oil in a pressure pan or cooker.
7. Put all the pieces in the oil and saute gently on low heat for 5 minutes.
8. Add one cup of water and stir gently.
9. Cover the pressure cooker and cook on high heat till the first pressure whistle comes.
10. Let it cook on low heat for 15 more minutes.
11. Open the cooker and check to see the tenderness. (Should be similar to a hard boiled potato). If they are still hard, let it pressure cook for a few more minutes.
12. If there is still some water, let it simmer for a few more minutes with the lid open.
Serve with freshly made chapati or tandoori roti and Enjoy!!!